ERCIM ManyVal Working Group
ManyVal is an ERCIM working group focusing on current hot topics inside the broad field of many-valued logics.
Many-valued logics are non-classical logics whose intended semantics have more than two truth-values. They were first studied in the early 20th century as a rather marginal topic in works by Łukasiewicz and Post on finitely-valued logics. In the past few decades, however, many-valued logics have gained more and more prominence, attracting an increasing number of researchers studying a growing family of logics arising from a broad range of motivations and yielding numerous applications.
Many-valued logics currently occupy a central part in the landscape of non-classical logics, including well-known systems such as Kleene logics, Dunn-Belnap logic and other bilattice-valued logics, n-valued Łukasiewicz logics, fuzzy logics (Łukasiewicz infinitely-valued logic, Gödel-Dummett logic and many others), paraconsistent logics, relevance logics, monoidal logic, etc.
Moreover, other systems such as intuitionistic, modal, or linear logic whose intended semantics is of a different nature, can also be given algebraic semantics with more than two truth values and hence, can be fruitfully studied from the point of view of Algebraic Logic as many-valued systems.
Research on this family of logics benefits from connections with other mathematical disciplines such as universal algebra, topology, model theory, proof theory, game theory and category theory, and has resulted in many applications in fields across mathematics, philosophy and computer science.
Board of the group
- Carles Noguera (Institute of Information Theory and Automation, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic) (chair)
- Agata Ciabattoni (Vienna University of Technology)
- Petr Cintula (Institute of Computer Science, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic)
- Vincenzo Marra (University of Milan)
- George Metcalfe (University of Bern)
Worskhop of the group
Previous importants events of the group were:
- ManyVal 2015: International workshop on the logical and algebraic aspects of many-valued reasoning. This year the topic is "Modal and first-order many-valued logics". Les Diablerets, Switzerland, 11 - 13 December 2015.
- LATD 2016: Logic, Algebra and Truth Degrees 2016. Phalaborwa, South Africa, 28 - 30 June 2016.
- SYSMICS 2016: SYNTAX MEETS SEMANTICS 2016. Barcelona, Spain, 5 - 9 September 2016.
- ManyVal 2017: International workshop on the logical and algebraic aspects of many-valued reasoning. This year the topic is "Reasoning under uncertainty and inconsistency". Toulouse, France, 15 - 17 November 2017.
- LATD 2018: Logic, Algebra and Truth Degrees 2018. Bern, Switzerland, 28 - 31 August 2018.